Ricardo Cortez, MD
- Jackson Memorial Hospitals, Spine Fellowship, The University of Miami-Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
- The University of North Carolina Hospitals, Neurosurgery Residency, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- The University of North Carolina Hospitals, General Surgery Internship, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Doctorate of Medicine, Galveston, Texas
- The University of Texas, BA Microbiology, Austin, Texas
About the Provider
Dr. Ricardo Cortez is a Board Certified Neurosurgeon with over 10 years of experience. He graduated from The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston and completed neurosurgery residency at The University of North Carolina Hospitals. He then completed a fellowship in complex spinal surgery at the University of Miami. Dr. Cortez's military experience includes service as a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division and service in the US Army as a neurosurgeon. He was the Chief of Neurosurgery at Brooke Army Medical Center and deployed to Iraq where he treated both civilian and military war injuries. Dr. Cortez treats various disorders of the brain and nervous system and specializes in treating spinal cord injury and spinal column trauma. He is an early adopter for new surgical technology and has adopted minimally invasive surgical techniques into his practice.
Dr. Cortez enjoys reading books on history and archaeology. He is mostly interested in Ancient Egyptian medicine and has taught himself to read Egyptian hieroglyphs.
Dr. Cortez is fluent in Spanish.
- Spine injuries
- Spine trauma
- Spine stabilization
- Spine tumors
- Brain surgery
- Brain tumor surgery
- Cervical spinal disorders
- Lumbar discectomy
- Lumbar fusion
- Lumbar stenosis